University of Houston-Clear Lake Search   Home  
University of Houston-Clear Lake  
     About UHCL      
     Site Map      

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

1. How is my financial need determined?

When you complete the FAFSA form, the information you provide determines your financial need. The result is your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC varies based on the number of people in your household and how many are in college. It considers your income and assets. If you are a dependent student, the EFC also considers your parents’ income and assets.

Need-based aid can be in the form of grants, scholarships, Perkins loans, and subsidized low-interest loans. If you don’t qualify for aid based on need, you can still get unsubsidized loans or PLUS loans.

2. When will I know about my awards?

Once we have your complete file, we will send you an email to let you know your money is available through E-Services within two weeks. We begin awarding for the upcoming school year by the beginning of May each year.

3. How many credit hours do I need to receive my aid?

Financial aid awards have various enrollment requirements, (i.e. Direct Loans require half-time enrollment; TEXAS Grant requires 9 hours of enrollment). Your financial aid is always adjusted based the actual number of credit hours you are enrolled in.

In order to accurately determine your financial aid disbursement eligibility, you will need to complete an Intended Enrollment Form in E-Services. You will be prompted to do this once we receive your FAFSA. We will send you an email to your UHCL email address requesting that you complete the Intended Enrollment Form. We will package your financial aid based on this submission, or will assume full-time enrollment if it is not completed. If your enrollment ever changes notify our office at 281.283.2480 or

Undergraduate (or Post-Bacc) Students:
Full Time: 12 or more hours 
Three Quarter TIme: 9-11 hours
Half Time: 6-8 hours
Less Than Half Time: 5 hours or less

Graduate Students:
Full Time: 9 or more hours 
Three Quarter TIme: 7-8 hours
Half Time: 5-6 hours
Less Than Half Time: 4 hours or less

4. Can I receive more financial aid?

Financial aid awards include grants, loans, work-study, or scholarships. Grants and work-study awards are awarded on a first-come first-serve basis due to limited funding. If you complete your application early, you may receive more financial aid than late applicants. The priority deadline at UHCL is March 15th. If additional financial aid becomes available during the school year, we will re-award students, starting with those who have the highest financial need.

If you applied for a scholarship and it is not included in your awards don’t worry—scholarships are awarded separately from grants, loans, and work-study, so you might be awarded a scholarship at a later time. If your award email is missing aid you were expecting, call the Office of Student Financial Aid at 281.283.2480.

5. What is an "overaward"?

Financial aid is designed to help you pay only expenses associated with your education. An overaward happens when your need-based financial aid is more than your financial need, or when your financial aid exceeds your cost of attendance.

You could have an overaward if you change your enrollment status, housing plans, FAFSA information, residency classification, student type (undergraduate, graduate) Satisfactory Academic Progress status, or if you receive additional financial aid awards or resources. If you are in an overaward situation, we will modify your award as necessary and let you know.

6. Are international students eligible for aid?

With few exceptions, Federal financial assistance is only available to citizens of the United States. If you have only an F1, F2, J1, or J2 student or work visa you are not eligible for federal student aid. See FAFSA for more information on exceptions for people who are not citizens.

International or undocumented students can apply for some state aid. Go to our Online Forms & Services to view the TASFA (for undocumented Texas residents) or the Financial Aid for International and Undocumented Students application.  You can view additional information at College for Texans.

International students are also eligible for many university scholarships. Also, international students may be eligible for some private student loans. For information regarding these loans, or other external financial aid information, please visit

Contact Us

University of Houston-Clear Lake
Office of Financial Aid
SSCB 1.105
2700 Bay Area Blvd.
Houston, TX 77058-1098

(281) 283-2480

(281) 283-2502


Fall/Spring Hours:
Mon-Thurs. 8am - 6pm
Fri. 8am-5pm

Summer Hours:
Mon-Thurs. 8am - 6pm
Fri. 8am-noon

School Code: 011711
Last updated: 12/17/2015 UTC
UHCL footer
Accessibility | Clery Act | Compact with Texans | Emergency Information | Maps & Directions | State Website Linking and Privacy Policy
Fraud Reporting | Title IX (Sexual Misconduct) | UH System | Public Information |MySafeCampus