1. What is verification, and what do I need to do if I am selected?
Verification is a process that all universities participating in federal aid programs
have to complete. If the Central Processing System (CPS) selects you, you must complete
verification in order to qualify for financial aid. If you are selected, we will send
you an email requesting additional documents. Using these documents, we compare your
data to the information on your FAFSA, and make corrections, if needed.
2. What documents do I need for verification?
Please check your UHCL email or your checklists in Eservices for the specific documents
we are requesting from you. Generally, we will be requesting:
- Verification Worksheet available at Online Forms & Services.
- Copy of your tax transcript. Please review your verification worksheet to get detailed
directions on receiving a tax transcript. Alternatively, you may do the IRS data retrieval
which is discussed on the verification worksheet. The IRS data retrieval is the preferred
way of providing tax information.
- Copies of all current W-2 forms for student and parents/spouse.
- If you and your spouse/parents did not file taxes, you will be asked to provide a
non-filer form(s). These forms are available at Online Forms & Services.
- If you someone in your household received food stamps, you will be asked to provide
documentation from the agency that issued the Food Stamps.
- If, after reviewing these documents we need more information, someone from our office
will contact you via your UHCL email account.
3. How long will the verification process take?
Once we have collected all your verification documents, they go to your counselor. We
can usually review your verification documents within two weeks after receiving them.
(During peak times, the process may take slightly longer.) After the verification
is completed, we will award you your financial aid.
4. What is the due date to submit verification documents?
2015-2016 Verification Deadline: The deadline to submit verification documents to UHCL Financial Aid for 2016 financial
aid is Saturday, September 17, 2016 or 120 days after your last day of enrollment at UHCL, whichever comes first. In
order to submit any requested documents to our office, you must already have an official SAR and EFC processed by the Department of Education by
June 30, 2016, or by the last day of your enrollment, whichever comes first. Submission
of documents does not guarantee a disbursement of funds. Eligibility for a disbursement
would be considered for Federal Pell Grant only (undergraduate students only). To
be considered for a Direct Loan or Campus-based funds disbursement, you must submit
any required verification documents to our office 10 days before the official closing of the semester in which you are enrolled at least