University of Houston-Clear Lake Search   Home  
University of Houston-Clear Lake  
     About UHCL      
     Site Map      

Stafford Loan

How to apply for a Federal Direct Loan

To apply for a Federal Direct Loan you must complete the FAFSA. You can apply for a loan if you are enrolled at least half time and meet other eligibility requirements set by the government.

We offer Federal Direct Loans as part of your award package. You may accept, reduce, or turn down (via E-Services) the amount you wish to borrow.

E-sign the Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN)

To receive a Federal Direct Loan you must complete a Federal Direct Loan Electronic Master Promissory Note (eMPN) before we can give you your money. Once you complete the Federal Direct Loan eMPN and the loan is in your student account, you do not have to sign a Federal Direct Loan eMPN again (it is valid for 10 years).

To complete the eMPN, go to You will need your U.S. Department of Education PIN to sign your eMPN electronically. After you sign your eMPN, they will notify us electronically. We cannot give you your loan money until you complete your eMPN and, if this is your first loan, complete Entrance Counseling.

Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling

If you are taking out your first loan, the federal government requires you to have loan counseling before you receive your money. Entrance Counseling explains how the student loan program works, including repaying and interest, and outlines your rights and responsibilities. You will check your knowledge by answering questions at the end of each section.

You must answer all the questions correctly to complete Entrance Counseling successfully and get your loan. Go to for your counseling. You will need your U.S. Department of Education PIN for Entrance Counseling. After you complete Entrance Counseling, the results are sent electronically to UHCL. We recommend you print a copy of the rights and responsibilities page for your records.

Receiving Loan Funds

When we hear from the Federal Direct Loan Processor that they have a valid eMPN on file for you and you have completed Entrance Counseling, your Federal Direct Loan is automatically credited to your student account if you meet the other Federal eligibility requirements (starting about a week before classes begin each semester).

Request Reduction or Cancellation of Federal Direct Loans

You can reduce or cancel your Federal Direct Loan offer. You may do so in E-Services, or you may notify us in writing (via email or snail mail).

Federal Direct Loan Limits

The Federal government limits the amount of money you can borrow. If you have filed the FAFSA, we award you the maximum amount eligible under such limits. The annual limit applies to the most you can borrow in one academic year, while the total limit applies to the maximum a student can borrow in a lifetime. If you are not eligible for subsidized loans, which are need-based, those amounts can be added to unsubsidized loan amounts shown below.

Annual and Total Limits for Federal Direct Loans

Dependent Students Subsidized Unsubsidized Annual Limit Total Limit
Freshman $3,500 $2,000 $5,500 $31,000
Sophomore $4,500 $2,000 $6,500 $31,000
Junior or Senior $5,500 $2,000 $7,500 $31,000


Independent Students Subsidized Unsubsidized Annual Limit Total Limit
Freshman $3,500 $6,000 $9,500 $57,500
Sophomore $4,500 $6,000 $10,500 $57,500
Junior or Senior $5,500 $7,000 $12,500 $57,500


Graduate and Professional Students Unsubsidized Annual Limit Total Limit
  $20,500 $20,500 $138,500

Federal Direct Loan Exit Counseling

The federal government requires that you go through Exit Counseling prior to leaving or graduating from college. To complete Exit Counseling, go to You will need your U.S. Department of Education FSAID to complete Exit Counseling.

During Exit Counseling you will learn about the circumstances under which you can reduce or postpone your payments, and how to get the necessary forms. Even though you have a six-month grace period, the Exit Counseling process will help you set up a repayment plan, a direct withdrawal and a payment date.

Federal Direct Loan Repayment

Repayment of Federal Direct Stafford Loans begins 6 months after you graduate or are not enrolled at least half time. You can estimate your repayment schedule at

Additional Federal Direct Loan Information

Contact Federal Direct Loan Servicing Center at or call them at 1-800-557-7394.

Contact Us

University of Houston-Clear Lake
Office of Financial Aid
SSCB 1.105
2700 Bay Area Blvd.
Houston, TX 77058-1098

(281) 283-2480

(281) 283-2502


Fall/Spring Hours:
Mon-Thurs. 8am - 6pm
Fri. 8am-5pm

Summer Hours:
Mon-Thurs. 8am - 6pm
Fri. 8am-noon

School Code: 011711
Last updated: 12/20/2016 UTC
UHCL footer
Accessibility | Clery Act | Compact with Texans | Emergency Information | Maps & Directions | State Website Linking and Privacy Policy
Fraud Reporting | Title IX (Sexual Misconduct) | UH System | Public Information |MySafeCampus