University of Houston-Clear Lake    Search  Home  Login  
University of Houston-Clear Lake  

Administrative Withdrawal

The university reserves the right to withdraw students from a class or all classes if, in the judgment of the appropriate university officials, such withdrawals are in the best interests of students and the university. Students may be withdrawn for reasons of health, irresponsible financial conduct, unacceptable personal conduct, Honesty Code violations, disregard of official summonses to respond to official requests, or other academic infractions.

Students may appeal for a self-initiated administrative withdrawal if experiencing extreme extenuating circumstances. Some examples of extenuating circumstances include, but are not limited to, death in the family, illness of an immediate family member, or natural disaster. (If seeking a medical withdrawal please refer to Medical Withdrawals on the Office of Academic Records Website.)

Students requesting an administrative withdrawal or refund of tuition and fees must submit a Student Appeal Form to the Office of Academic Records. Withdrawal appeals should be submitted to the Office of Academic Records prior to the close of the following long semester. Appeals submitted after one long semester will not be considered. Students with questions concerning appeals may contact the Office of Academic Records at Appeal forms are available at the Student Assistance Center. The Office of Academic Records will communicate with academic, financial, and student services administrators with regards to student appeals. Students should review their official UHCL email address for follow-up questions and decisions regarding appeals.

A grade of WX is recorded for approved Administrative Withdrawals. The grade of WX is not computed in students’ grade point averages. In most cases, the regular tuition and fee assessment and refund schedule policies of the University prevail. Please refer to the Refund Schedule for additional information.

Disciplinary suspensions or dismissals are initiated by the appropriate authority in the Dean of Student’s Office and written notification is sent to the Office of Academic Records. The Office of Academic Records cancels students’ registration and notifies other administrative offices and faculty members.

If faculty members have reason to inquire about specific cases of administrative withdrawal, they may inquire with the Registrar or their Associate Dean’s office. In certain cases, students’ right to confidentiality may not permit full disclosure of the circumstances. Faculty members should maintain accurate and consistent records of academic engagement from students throughout the semester.

Students who are administratively withdrawn from a single course or all courses in a semester:

  1. Are still responsible for all debts, including tuition, fees, and other incidental charges for the full semester.
  2. May have an effect on financial aid awards and/or student visa status when the withdrawal results in a change in enrollment status.
    1. If receiving financial aid, students are advised to contact the Office of Financial Aid prior to making changes in their enrollment status.
    2. International students are advised to contact the International Advising Office prior to making changes in their enrollment status.
  3. Will have all student services and privileges, including library services and use of computer labs, terminated when registration is canceled or withdrawn from the university.
Distance Education
Financial Aid
Student Business Services
Student Services
Transfer Advising
Contact Us

Office of Academic Records
2700 Bay Area Blvd.
Houston, TX 77058
Tele: 281-283-2525
Fax: 281-283-2530

UHCL footer   

  Accessibility  |   Best Viewed  |   Clery Act  |   Compact with Texans  |   Emergency Information  |   Maps & Directions  
  State Website Linking and Privacy Policy  |   Title IX (Sexual Misconduct)  |   UH System  |   Public Information  |   Fraud Reporting  |   MySafeCampus