University of Houston-Clear Lake    Search  Home  Login  
University of Houston-Clear Lake  

Medical Withdrawals

Students requesting a semester medical withdrawal must submit a Student Appeal form to the Office of Academic Records before the end of the current semester, but no later than the close of the following long semester. (Students should make every attempt to withdraw themselves before the drop deadline for the term. Please refer to the academic calendar for more information regarding deadlines.) A medical withdrawal formally drops all courses in a term.

A written appeal for a medical withdrawal should address each of the following:

  1. Explain in detail how/why the medical condition/circumstances prevented the completion of the academic semester.
  2. Detail the dates of the onset of the medical condition/circumstances, along with the dates of any treatment received, if appropriate.
  3. If attendance was stopped, explain why and when. (Please note: nonattendance does not exempt students from academic and financial responsibilities.)
  4. If the regular withdrawal process was not utilized, explain why not.
  5. Explain what type of assistance is anticipated as a result of this request. Be as specific as possible.

Supporting Documentation

A letter from a health care provider(s) or other pertinent sources must be included. The documentation should be on clinic letterhead and should address the following:
  • Explain how the severity of the condition completely prevents attending classes and completing the semester.
  • Address potential health/clinical consequences if a medical withdrawal is not granted.

Review Process

  1. Submit all materials to the Office of Academic Records. Any missing or incomplete information may delay consideration of the request.
  2. After the materials are received, the request will be evaluated by the Office of Academic Records and students will be notified when the request has been approved or denied. Additional information to assist the university in its evaluation may be required. The decision of the Office of Academic Records is final.
  3. Withdrawal appeals should be submitted to the Office of Academic Records prior to the close of the following long semester. Appeals submitted after one long semester will not be considered.


  • International students, students with a disability, and students who are receiving financial aid, veteran's and/or other benefits and who are considering withdrawing from the university must meet with the appropriate official (e.g., international student advisor, staff from Disability Services, financial aid counselor, or veteran's services) before withdrawing since there may be legal, certification, and/or repayment penalties associated with withdrawing.
  • Medical withdrawal typically results in withdrawal from all classes. Students who are considering the medical withdrawal process and wish to drop some, but not all, of their classes for a semester should instead contact their academic associate dean's office for information about administrative drops.
  • Please note that a Medical Withdrawal is granted in rare instances where students are faced with a serious and unexpected condition that completely precludes them from being able to function as a student. If a request is approved, students may be required to submit documentation from a health care provider to indicate their ability to function successfully prior to subsequent enrollment. Additional requests for a medical withdrawal are normally not granted for the same circumstances.
  • Student Loans: Students who have borrowed from the Perkins or Direct Loan programs are required to schedule an Exit Counseling session. Contact the financial aid office for additional information.
  • All outstanding bills and university obligations must be paid/fulfilled. This includes any payment plans or loan agreements issued by the Cashier’s Office. Contact the Cashier’s Office for additional information.
Distance Education
Financial Aid
Student Business Services
Student Services
Transfer Advising
Contact Us

Office of Academic Records
2700 Bay Area Blvd.
Houston, TX 77058
Tele: 281-283-2525
Fax: 281-283-2530

UHCL footer   

  Accessibility  |   Best Viewed  |   Clery Act  |   Compact with Texans  |   Emergency Information  |   Maps & Directions  
  State Website Linking and Privacy Policy  |   Title IX (Sexual Misconduct)  |   UH System  |   Public Information  |   Fraud Reporting  |   MySafeCampus