University of Houston-Clear Lake    Search  Home  Login  
University of Houston-Clear Lake  
VSO Nav homie
Untitled Document


Former military personnel or ROTC students, with at least 54 hours of college work at the freshman and sophomore level, may apply to University of Houston-Clear Lake after completing their military commitments.

UHCL has rolling admissions. You may apply for admissions for any semester fall, spring or summer.

HB 269 – Credit for Military Services

HB 269 makes military veterans who enroll in Texas universities eligible to receive undergraduate college credit for the time they spent in the services if certain requirements are met. Eligible veterans can receive college credit for:

  • All required physical education courses needed for their degrees
  • Up to an additional 12 semester credit hours of general elective course work

The credit is awarded for having served, not for any college-level courses that might have been taken while performing military service

Are you eligible?

In order to be eligible to receive college credit for military services, you must have:
  • Graduated from a public or private high school accredited by a generally recognized accrediting organization or from a high school operated by the U.S. Department of Defense.
  • Completed a minimum of two years of service in the armed services, unless discharged because of disability.
  • Been honorably discharged from the armed forces.

Accepting credit

UHCL does not have any degree programs that require physical education course so we will not award any credit for physical education under HB 269. However, if you meet the eligibility requirements you may receive up to 12 semester credit hours for general elective coursework to satisfy the degree requirements for your program of choice. The choice is yours You will have to determine the number of credits to accept based on the number of general electives in your degree plan. For example, if your degree plan contains 9 hours of electives, you can choose to accept 3, 6, or 9 hours. In making the decision about how many hours to accept, you should take into consideration the impact that accepting the military service credit, will have on:

Where to start

If you are a veteran, who is considering applying to UHCL, you may meet with the Veteran Services Office to discuss military credit under HB 269. During your meeting, the adviser will discuss your options. You will also receive a form that you will be able to complete in order to indicate the amount of general elective credit you would like to receive for serving in the military. You do not have to make a choice prior to admissions, but we strongly encourage you to make the determination early so that your decision is reflected in your degree plan from your first semester at UHCL.

We will accept credit under HB 269 that has been granted by other institutions. If you have used the maximum amount of credit allowed by HB 269, UHCL will not be able to grant more credit. However, if you still have credits remaining, UHCL can grant you the remaining credit if is applicable to your UHCL major.

Transfer Credit from Military Schools

UHCL grants credit for courses taken at military service training schools in accordance with the publication “Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experience in the Armed Services” from the American Council on Education. If you are seeking credit for courses taken while in the military, please submit an official transcript from AARTS, SMART or the Coast Guard to the Office of Admissions.

Student Services and Classroom Building third floor room 3.201.

University of Houston-Clear Lake
CAPT. Wendell M. Wilson Office of Veteran Services
2700 Bay Area Boulevard, Box 177
Houston, TX 77058-1098

(281) 283-3071

(281) 226-7297


9 a.m.-5 p.m.
8 a.m.-5 p.m.

9:00 am-5:30 pm
9:00 am-12:00 pm

UHCL footer   

  Accessibility  |   Best Viewed  |   Clery Act  |   Compact with Texans  |   Emergency Information  |   Maps & Directions  
  State Website Linking and Privacy Policy  |   Title IX (Sexual Misconduct)  |   UH System  |   Public Information  |   MySafeCampus