University of Houston-Clear Lake Search   Home  
University of Houston-Clear Lake  
     About UHCL      
     Site Map      

Academic Suspension

What is Academic Suspension?

If you are on academic probation and your semester GPA falls below the required 2.0 for undergraduates or 3.0 for graduate students, you will be placed on academic suspension. If you are suspended, you will not be able to enroll, audit or visit classes for a period of time, as follows:

First suspension - one semester
Second suspension – one year
Third suspension- indefinitely

When can you return to UHCL?

Suspension at the end of

First Suspension

Second Suspension

Third Suspension


Following summer

Spring of the following academic year

Determined on appeal


Following fall

Summer of the following academic year

Determined on appeal


Following spring

Fall of the following academic year

Determined on appeal

Reinstatement Process

Before you can return to UHCL after serving your suspension period, you must:

  • Determine if you will remain in the degree program that you were previously enrolled in. If you are not seeking to change majors upon your return, you will need to submit a request for reinstatement to the associate dean of your school. If you intend to change your degree program, you will need to make your reinstatement petition to the associate dean in the school of your desired program.

    Your written request should address the circumstance that led to your academic difficulties, how your circumstances have changed and what are the steps you intend to take to improve your academic performance if you are readmitted. Attached to your request should be a copy of transcripts showing your academic history at other institutions that you might have attended while under suspension.
  • Request academic transcripts from other institutions you have attended during your absence from UHCL be sent to the Office of Admissions.
  • Submit a new admissions application and pay the appropriate application fee, if you are applying for reinstatement after a year of non-enrollment at UHCL.

After Reinstatement

Once you are reinstated, your academic standing will change from academic suspension to academic probation. You will be placed under mandatory academic counseling until you return to good standing. This means that as long as you are on probation you will have a registration hold that will prevent you from registering for classes until you visit with your academic advisor.

Last updated: 05/31/2016 UTC
UHCL footer
Accessibility | Clery Act | Compact with Texans | Emergency Information | Maps & Directions | State Website Linking and Privacy Policy
Fraud Reporting | Title IX (Sexual Misconduct) | UH System | Public Information |MySafeCampus