Welcome to UHCL!
Congratulations on joining UHCL! We are excited to present you with programs that
will continue your successful transition to becoming a Hawk!
Student Orientation And Registration (SOAR)
Register for your SOAR session upon admission to UHCL. Space is limited per session.
SOAR sessions provide first year students, as well as their families and guests, a
positive transition experience through educational and social programming.
By attending their SOAR session, students learn to:
- Articulate university policies and procedures, including policies on academic honesty
and Title IX.
- Understand social expectations of a UHCL community member through peer mentor interactions.
- Appreciate an atmosphere that values diversity and encourages respect for all individuals.
- Identify university services and resources that assist in their successful transition.
- Understand and appreciate the value of engaging in co-curricular opportunities.
- Create spirit and pride for UHCL by understanding the history and traditions of the
- Understand academic requirements and expectations through academic advising and course
- Students:Attendance for the entire session is mandatory.
Students register for SOAR orientation via E-Services and pay via the Payment link.
Expect to hear from UHCL in a variety of ways. The ONSP Office provides various programs focused on helping in your successful transition to UHCL. You can also email us with questions you may have.
First Year Success Plan
The First Year Success Plan focuses on providing support, programs, and resources
to our first time undergraduate freshmen and transfer sophomores in their first year
First year success plan faculty and staff strive to accomplish strong engagement with
you throughout your journey as well as ensure that your first year here is positive
Hunter the Hawk offers these words of wisdom:
- Remember that you start every class with an A and it is yours to lose.
- Attend class on a regular basis and be prepared.
- Visit with professors and build positive relationships with them.
- For every hour in class, try to spend three hours outside of class preparing and studying
for that class.
- Consider when you are most attentive and/or most interested in the material.
- Review notes from class
- Prep study sheets for midterms and/or finals.
- Form a study group.
- If there is a Supplemental Instruction (SI), attend the SI sessions.
- Visit the tutors in the Student Success Center.
- Improve your writing by visiting the Writing Center.
- Math giving you trouble? Visit the Math Center.
- Remain in contact with your orientation leader and small group throughout the year.
- Plan a reunion at Welcome Back Bash.
- Catch up at the Student Orgs Expo (held both semesters).
- Join a student organization. There are at least 90 to choose from!
- The diversity of UHCL is here to be celebrated!
- ONSP sends you monthly emails with information about upcoming events - be sure to
- There are specific services for
- Stop by ONSP and we can point you in the right direction to finding those resources
Hunter loves being a mascot:
- Have you taken a personality inventory?
- Do you know what you want from your future career?
- Do you have a hobby that feels more like a career?
- Attend job fairs.
- Visit Career Services for one-on-one help with
- Resume review
- Mock interviewing
- Individual career counseling
How Hunter stays healthy:
- Develop good habits. Manage your stress, eat right, workout and get enough sleep!
- Visit the Counseling Services if you start to feel overwhelmed.
- Participate in Campus Recreation events .
- Play a quick game of ping pong in the student lounge (SSCB, first floor).
- We are a safe campus but be smart and aware of your surroundings -
- Walk in groups at night.
- Call for a police escort if you don't feel comfortable getting to your car.
- If you have something stolen or you see a crime happening, call UHCL PD at 281-283-2222.
- Report any suspicious individuals immediately.
- Check out this walking map of campus.
- Remember to stay honest academically.
- Abide by all university policies and procedures.
- Be smart about your money and follow a balanced budget.
- What are your expenses?
- What is your income?
- What bills do you pay?
- Pay attention to all payment deadlines. Check your UHCL email regularly!
- Financial aid is likely dependent on your good grades so keep that in mind.
- Don't let your work schedule interfere with your academics.
- Avoid underage drinking or binge drinking and/or any drug use.
- Please visit the Health Center
- If you're hurt or feeling sick
- For a flu shot during flu season
- To see a doctor and/or chiropractor
Transition to UHCL
Transition Checklist (pdf, 250 KB)